Check in at our front desk, change for your screening mammogram, have the test.
That's it — you'll be in and out in under 30 minutes.
- How to make an appointment
How to make an appointment
For your convenience, we have a wide selection of appointment times from early in the morning, during the noon hour and through late afternoon. We also offer Saturday morning appointments for screening mammograms once per month.
When scheduling your appointment:
- Please be sure to provide the name and address of the healthcare provider who will receive and manage the results of your exam.
- If you are a new patient to us and have had previous breast imaging tests (mammograms, ultrasounds, MRIs or biopsies) elsewhere, please bring the images (priors) with you or arrange for your prior imaging tests to be sent to Women's Life Imaging Center in advance of your appointment.
- Your exam results will be delayed if your prior images are not available on the day of your exam.
- A combined mammogram and bone density appointment can be scheduled for you to have these two examinations at one convenient time.
The length of time you are here depends on your appointment type as follows:
- Annual screening mammogram with no symptoms: under 30 minutes.
- Diagnostic mammogram: Up to 45 minutes.
- Diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound as part of the work-up: allow up to 2 hours.
- Ultrasound only: between 60-75 minutes.
- Bone density test: 30 minutes.
- Screening mammogram and bone density test: up to 60 minutes.
- Real time screening reads
Real time screening reads
A limited number of real time screening reads are available weekly. When you call to make your screening exam appointment, notify the scheduler that you would like a “Real Time Read”.
We ask that you allow up to 1 hour for this type of appointment. This will provide the time for our technologist to perform the exam and have our radiologist interpret the images. A technologist will provide the results of your screening.
- What to do to prepare for your appointment
What to do to prepare for your appointment
Every effort will be made to get you in and out for your appointment on time. It is best to arrive at least ten minutes before your appointment. Please remember to bring a picture I.D. and your insurance card to every visit, even if your insurance has not changed since your last appointment.
For a mammogram, a two-piece outfit will make it easier for you to change into a gown from the waist up. Avoid using deodorant, body powder or lotion prior to the exam (we have deodorant packets). For your bone density exam, wear a two-piece outfit with no metal fasteners; sweatpants are fine. Do not take calcium tablets, multi-vitamins, Tums/Rolaids or calcium chews 24 hours before your bone density exam. There are no restrictions on drink or food intake.
- Why complete orders from your PCP are so important
Why complete orders from your PCP are so important
If your appointment is for a diagnostic exam, your referring physician must provide a written order stating the medically necessary reason for the exam. Check with your physician’s office to make sure they faxed it to us at (603) 742-6757. The information provided by your physician is like a medication prescription; it tells us about your symptoms and may direct us to the specific area on your breast in question. Your exam may be delayed if we do not have the order in time for your appointment.
- Insurance assistance
We contract with most major insurance companies including Aetna, Anthem, Cigna, Harvard Pilgrim, Martins Point, Medicaid, Medicare and United Healthcare. Because plan coverage varies, please check with your insurance provider about your plan's specific benefits regarding any of our services. If you still have questions about your insurance coverage, please call our business office for further assistance at (603) 742-7492.
We also provide mammograms in agreement with the New Hampshire Breast and Cervical Cancer Program (BCCP). Contact the Avis Goodwin Community Health Center regarding your eligibility for this program at (603) 749-2346.
- Peace of Mind Financial Assistance Program
Click to print form >
Peace of Mind Financial Assistance Program
Every woman deserves the peace of mind that comes from having a mammogram. Income status or lack of medical insurance should not deny anyone from access to better health and wellness. That is why we developed our own Peace of Mind Financial Assistance Program for those who meet certain guidelines based on income levels. The application process for the Peace of Mind Financial Assistance Program is simple to complete. To apply, print out this Women's Life Imaging Center Application, or for an application form that can be mailed to you in confidence, call us at (603) 742-6673 or (603) 742-7492. If you have already qualified for financial assistance with Wentworth-Douglass Hospital or Frisbie Memorial Hospital, you automatically qualify for our Peace of Mind Program.